From: Hannibal Police Department
Date: February 11, 2021
Contact: Lieutenant J.M. Grote
The Hannibal Police Department would like to remind the public to lock their vehicles. Motor vehicle thefts are on the rise. Cars left running unattended and those parked with keys left inside are being stolen. Motor vehicle thefts are often crimes of opportunity with thieves taking advantage of easy targets. In just over the past two months 15 vehicles have been reported stolen with the keys either left inside or vehicles left running unattended. The following safety tips below are recommended to help keep your vehicles and property safe.
- Do not leave your keys, key fobs, or valet keys in your vehicle. This includes keys to a secondary vehicle.
- Never leave the area while your vehicle is running even for a short duration of time.
- Ensure that your vehicle is turned OFF when leaving it unattended. Vehicles with keyless ignition systems can be driven for extended periods of time even if the key fob is not inside the car. Read your owner’s manual and familiarize yourself with how to operate your vehicle’s keyless ignition system properly.
- Keep information, such as the make, model, model year, license plate and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) easily accessible in the event your vehicle is stolen.
- Do not leave valuable property such as wallets, purses, electronic devices and tools in plain sight. Remove them from your vehicle if it will be parked for a long duration of time.